Sunday, March 31, 2013

Journal 6

I must say that I have mixed views on the film, Miss Representation. As a father of three daughters, I have already experienced the teenage years with one, one getting close to start, and the little one is breaking me off now, so her teenage years should be a walk in the park. I didn't see much of the media or society affecting the way my oldest presented herself, but with my tween, it's a completely ballgame. She is always in front of the mirror. She will stand in front of the mirror for an hour doing her hair. She will definitely add to the stress level once she is officially a teen. Now with the film Miss Representation, I heard a lot of reporters, students, and parents hating on the beautiful women in the movies, commercials, and modeling jobs. Some were saying that the women used in those platforms are belittling women, portraying them in a negative way, and used as sex symbols. If  they are, so what, those women weren't held at gun point forcing them to do those jobs. The fact is, each women got paid for the job, and each felt good about themselves. For the students or media that  are knocking those of beauty, seek counseling and enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment